Walton Lake Sno-Park is located off of Forest Service Road 22 and provides access to a variety of winter activities.
There are two parking areas; the lower provides immediate access to the network of cross-country ski trails, and the larger upper area that provides immediate access to the warming hut and restroom.
The greatest concentration of snowmobile trails on the Ochoco National Forest can be accessed from the upper parking lot.
Additionally, there is a small hilly area next to the upper parking area that is good for sledding and tubing.
Walton Sno-Park is ideal for snowmobile enthusiasts, as well as anyone who is looking to participate in more than one kind of winter recreation and does not mind roads that are maintained less in the winter.
Be advised: Plowing of the FS 22 Road only occurs approximately once per week and there are few adequate places to turn around, so access may be difficult. In addition, early season plowing extends outside the road bed to allow room for the snow that accumulates throughout the season, so please be aware and drive with caution.
View the Snowmobile Trail Map.
- Ochoco Meadows 5430 ft
Search & Rescue
From Prineville, Oregon:
Travel approximately 15 miles east on Highway 26.
Turn right at the junction to Walton Lake and Big Summit Prairie (County Road 123).
Continue for approximately 8 miles to the junction of Forest Service Road 22 and Forest Service Road 42.
Turn left onto Forest Service Road 22 and proceed approximately 7 miles to Walton Lake.
Walton Lake Campground will be on your left, but continue on Forest Service Road 22 for another 1/2 mile.
Walton Lake Sno-Park will be on your right.
Sno-Park permits are required in designated Sno-Parks from November 1 – April 30.
- You can move a Sno-Park permit from one vehicle to another.
- You can use California and Idaho Sno-Park permits in Oregon.
- You can use Oregon Sno-Park permits in California and Idaho.
- You may get a fine for parking in a Sno-Park without a permit.
- Annual Sno-Park Permit (November 1 – April 30) – $25*
- 3-Day (consecutive) Sno-Park Permit – $9*
- Daily Sno-Park Permit – $4*
*Agents may charge an additional service fee.
To become a Sno-Park Parking Permit agent, call 503-945-5052.
You can buy a permit at:
- Permit agents in resorts, sporting goods stores, and other retail outlets issue all types of permits.
- Get an annual permit online at DMV2U – includes printable interim permit to use immediately.
Note: Sno-Park permits are NOT REFUNDABLE.